Wednesday, April 04, 2007

ear fear

I've had a bum ear for about a year now. Approximately a 50% hearing loss in my left ear. Nowadays it's actually measured in db's, not in percentages but using % is a clearer illustration. The ear is never good but when not going through an acute episode, it's something I can live with. Unfortunately, this problem is caused by something called endolymphatic hydrops - in plain(er) English, there is an excess of fluid in the inner ear which puts pressure on the cochlea (hearing apparatus) and in some people also on the vestibular portion (balance). So far, thank God, mine is limited to the cochlea which means I don't get vertigo.

Every now and again - in completely unpredictable intervals - the fluid in the inner ear canals swells and my symptoms worsen considerably. An episode can last anywhere from hours to days. No predicting the onset or the termination. Right now, my hearing is almost down to zero. I have two distinct humming pitches (tinnitus) and a feeling like concrete has been poured down my ear right down to the brain.

My next gig is about a week from now, so I hope this will improve. I'll keep performing even if it doesn't but it's a tough affliction for a musician to have.