Sunday, December 19, 2004

holy mackrel!!

My Lord - IT IS COLD...brrrrrrr.....ok, let me sketch it out for you folks out there in warmer climes. The forecast for tonight is - 23 Celisius with a wind chill factor of - 33. And once again, we were hired to add to the general merrymaking and go a-caroling down in the good old Distillery District. Kevin Clark, trumpet player extraordinaire, who does all the booking down there, played with his band in the well heated Boiler House Restaurant and me and my crew were left out in the elements. But of course with these kinds of temps you can't really play outside. So we hung around the Visitor Center and Balzac's Cafe and a bunch of nice little galleries and played jazzed up versions of tunes such as Silent Night (up-tempo and swung like crazy), Winter Wonderland and White Christmas. Amazing what a good chug-a-chugga beat can do to the Irving Berlin chestnut. I talked Don into taking the mute off his horn and Jamie played the heck out of his banjo. White Christmas never sounded so good.


---------
shelter from the wind
--------
At three we packed up and walked out to the bone crunching wind....

"I'm dreaming of a White Sand Beach"