Saturday, April 12, 2008

bank job

It's a funny thing...so often reviews and reviewers just plain get things wrong. If I had read some of the reviews about the movie "The Bank Job" before heading out tonight with the DW, I would have stayed home and watched some insipid reality show on TV. As it, I luckily hadn't read any crap on IMDB and as a result saw one of the best movies I've seen in ten years. The pace is fast and furious, the period (early 1970's in London) well portrayed. The bad guys are bad to the bone and the good guys are only slightly bad. A good soundtrack and an edge-of-your-seat thriller with Cockney accents, a phenomenal bank heist and some stomach churning torture scenes. I'd rank this up there with another excellent gangster movie I saw earlier this year, "American Gangster" and very close to my all time favourite "Pulp Fiction", though perhaps not quite as enormously intelligent and intricate, and definitely a lot less self-referential, than PF. A delicious twist is that this movie is based on real events. Almost makes you want to believe the conspiracy nuts. Rush out and see it. And don't read the IMDB reviews - judge for yourself.